Friday, November 12, 2010

Christmas without Santa

Jon and I have decided that Christmas really needs to be about Christ. We, without even knowing it, make it about other reasons. Without the birth of Christ, we would still be held accountable for our sins and would be destined to a life apart from the Father. So how can we take Christ out of Christmas? You cant. Without Christ, it is just a MASs of consumerism, selfishness and Santa. Don’t even get me started on Santa. Jon and I discussed how Santa may seem innocent, but that is exactly what Satan wants us to think (notice how Satan and Santa are composed of the same letters?). Santa is honestly viewed by so many children and families as a god. He is idolized at Christmas when the only one we should set our focus on is Christ. For that reason, Jon and I have decided to take the Santa out of our Christmas. We are not putting up Santa decorations, we are not listening to songs about Santa or even watch movies about santa. We are going to keep our focus on Christ. And one day, when we do have children, we don’t want them to be disillusioned with Santa either. We want them to know the real reason for Christmas, right from the get go.
My dad told me that he and my mom never told me or my brother that Santa was real because one day we would grow up to learn he was made up and they did not want us to ever question whether or not Jesus was made up – they never wanted us to question their word. And I think that is another valid point. Satan uses Santa to get people’s focus off of where it should be and boy does it ever work. Everywhere you turn, Christmas is all about Santa. It really makes me sad to think that Christ has been replaced by so many in the world today.
It may seem extreme…but I want to be extreme for the sake of my Saviour and I want to put nothing else before Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment